Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Anodes

Posted by Steve Mulrooney 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use new forum platform at www.iwai.ie/bbpress.
Anodes
24 February, 2014 09:16
I have my 1984 32 ft GRP cruiser out of the water this winter. There has been some discussion about the condition of the metal and a suggestion that anodes should be fitted " as the prop is generating electricity".
Could anyone please explain the thinking here as I understood that anodes were only required in salt water.
If required, what type of anodes should be fitted for Shannon water? Zinc? Where should they be fitted and what size?
I would be grateful for advice.
Re: Anodes
24 February, 2014 10:48
This is a subject that gets a wide variation in opinion. the following link gives the authoritive, in my view, information you need.

Good luck

http://www.mgduff.co.uk/
24 February, 2014 22:34
Steve, has your vessel a shore power system and is it generally connected to the shore power when it is in its berth ?. Also, are there lots of other craft moored around you, also hooked up to shore power ?.

Regarding anodes, beware that in many instances anodes especially ones that are earth wired to the engine can cause the problem to get massively worse.
25 February, 2014 10:17
[quote Robert McClean]Steve, has your vessel a shore power system and is it generally connected to the shore power when it is in its berth ?. Also, are there lots of other craft moored around you, also hooked up to shore power ?.

Regarding anodes, beware that in many instances anodes especially ones that are earth wired to the engine can cause the problem to get massively worse.[/quote]

Hi Robert,
I don't use a zinc anode as my boat is on L Derg.

But when I took Breakaway to sea for a month I did, probably unnecessary for such a short period, use a zinc anode wired back to the engine block and hanging off the stern when boat not in use.

Would I have been better advised to have had no anode?

Or one on the prop shaft?

Thanks

John
25 February, 2014 16:12
Hi Steve I replaced anodes on my z-drive this time last year and bolted 2 magnessium anodes onto it for use in fresh water (zinc for saltwater).As far as i know any metal submerged in water gives off small voltages so regardless of where you are moored or have 220v hook up its advisable to fit them Robbio http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/hull-anodes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2014 16:13 by robbio c.
25 February, 2014 22:41
Thank you all for the advice.
On the basis that the boat has been in fresh water for 30 years without a significant amount of corrosion of the underwater metal parts, I think I will simply bolt a couple of magnesium anodes on and review this the next time I have the boat lifted.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 5
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017