Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Shannon cruise

Posted by Paul mitchell 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use new forum platform at www.iwai.ie/bbpress.
Shannon cruise
07 August, 2014 10:43
Hi All,

New to this site....Got pointed to this site from another site so hopefully someone can help me out.
Myself and a few friends have rented a boat for mid sept to cruise up or down the Shannon from Portumna. We have 3 days starting on a friday. We are in our mid 20's and keen fishers. We are looking for the best route to take so that we get in the best fishing spots and the best places to stop off for a few drinks? Is Carrick on Shannon too far away for a 3 day trip?

Any help is appreciated
Re: Shannon cruise
07 August, 2014 11:19
Hi Paul,

I would say Carrick is a bit ambitious.
Portumna to Athlone is about 70km. Thats about 7 hours at a cruising speed of 10km/hr.
(You might go a bit faster but as against that there could be a bit of a flow in the river that would slow you down). Then there's two locks to negotiate. At least a half hour each so thats really a full day gone.
You might get to Hodson Bay or Lecarrow at a pinch if you get lucky with locks &c Bear in mind that by september the evenings are getting shorter and the hire boats are not equipped for night-time crusing.
Athlone to Lanesborough is 31km. Say 3 Hours.
Lanesborough to Carrick is 50km and 2 locks.
So that would wipe out another day and you've only a day left to get back all that way.
Unless the weather is terrible, I would head out onto Lough Derg. Lots of places within a couple of hours cruise with pubs &c. Plenty of bays for fishing. If the weather is bad head upstream towards Banagher and Shannonbridge. Call in to Shannon Harbour as well. Plenty of fishing along the river sections, in behind the islands in the dinghy etc.

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
Re: Shannon cruise
07 August, 2014 20:26
Thanks very much Colin !
Very helpful !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 20:27 by Paul mitchell.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017