Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Lough Ree moorings

Posted by MichaelF 
Lough Ree moorings
03 February, 2019 16:33
I seem to recall that a number of years back, a presentation was compiled of ‘out of the way’ or quiet anchorages on Lough Ree. Does anyone remember or have any details of this?

Regards
Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 17:21 by MichaelF.
Udo
Re: Laugh Ree moorings
03 February, 2019 16:47
[www.independent.ie]
????????
B.r. Udo
Re: Lough Ree moorings
03 February, 2019 17:17
Thanks Udo,
My recollection was that someone compiled a list of quiet ‘on the hook’ moorings, like Coosan Lough, and published it by way of a presentation.

Michael
03 February, 2019 19:46
Hi Michael the book I have is by Donal Boland from the James and Mary, called mid Shannon waterway designated and tranquil moorings,it covers portumna to athlone only I think,i don't have have to hand at the moment, it came out about 2016 I think, as far as I know its on the iwai site book shop.regards ian
04 February, 2019 08:48
Hi Ian, I actually have that book by Donal Boland, ‘The Mid-Shannon Waterway’. it is an excellent piece of work, you’re right it covers just the mid Shannon. The publication I’m thinking of was produced by an IWAI member and presented by way of a PowerPoint presentation at an information event. It covered just Lough Ree, but info was very like Donal’s book. From memory, this was around 10 years ago, but I could be way out on the time frame, time seems to pass quicker as you get older.
Udo
05 February, 2019 10:58
Hello Michael
If nobody may help you, I'll try to share my experience from 30 boating holidays on (in) the irish waterways with you, certainly with my poor englisch !

Leaving Athlone you find at the right handside the Lough Erne marina and than you'll come to the Inner Lakers. Left handside you can find the Killinure Point Marina, where you can stay overnight .
You had to pay 10 E , or 15 E (shore power included). There you can visit the Killinure Chalets, where you can enjoy very good steaks and some pints.
Heading east you pass the wineport Restaurant and 10 minutes later you reach Glasson golf, for me the nicest place all over the shannon side.. You can take your dinner in the Golfclub restaurant, where you're very welcome !!

Nearby you can find Portaneena Marina and Coosan Point moorings vis-a-vis Quigleys Marina.
Back to Killinure point there you'll find Hodson Bay fitted with everything you want, a golf court included. Its a very good hotel with safe moorings at the harbour wall.
Heading north you'll find Lecarrow, fitted with pubs and a restaurant. Perhaps you can catch one of the moorings at the harbour wall !

2 miles away you can find the exposed jetty of Portrunny ! For me a must not see mooring !
Heading north , you'll reach 2 hours later Ballyleague, on the entrance of Lough Ree. You llso can take the old Lanesboro Marina, much smaller but save and silent ! In Lanesboro you can find Pubs, groceries, post office – all what you need.
There are 2 more moorings in the Lough Ree, bankmooring at the Inny River and Barley Harbour. If you choose one of them, you'' should have much experience, so I could'nt recommend it to you.
My No. One is clearly Glasson Golf, where you also can get a breakfast for a few Euros.
Hope you understand my infos and I wish you much fun !!
b,r. Udo
Udo
05 February, 2019 11:43
Oh sorry ! Have forgotten Rindoon Jetty, a kind of emergency jetty , if you are in trouble during west winds. No access onshore , but helpful in some difficult situation.

B.r. Udo
05 February, 2019 20:12
Hi Lads
The presentation you are looking for was compiled by Dave McCabe of Athlone branch
Powerpoint
Maps and Images

Donal smiling smiley
06 February, 2019 00:36
Quote:
MichaelF
I seem to recall that a number of years back, a presentation was compiled of ‘out of the way’ or quiet anchorages on Lough Ree. Does anyone remember or have any details of this?
Regards
Michael

Dave McCabe did a super visual presentation a few years ago on Lough Ree's hidden beauty spots. It listed co-ordinates and access routes for many hidden treasures on Lough Ree. If I can find a link to it I will post when I'm back.
07 February, 2019 12:30
Quote:
Udo
Oh sorry ! Have forgotten Rindoon Jetty, a kind of emergency jetty , if you are in trouble during west winds. No access onshore , but helpful in some difficult situation.

I wouldn't relegate Rindoon to an emergency mooring only. It's a great place to stop for lunch, or to stay overnight if you are looking for peace and quiet. Also, there is access to the shore by dinghy, and it's well worth a visit. There is a beautiful walk around the whole peninsula.
07 February, 2019 23:03
Folks,
Thanks a million for all your responses. Udo thank you so much for sharing the experiences of your trips to our wonderful waterways, you put some of us Paddys to shame.
Donal and Noel, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I will try and make contact direct with Dave. Doug, I agree with you about Rindoon.
Again thank you all for your responses.

Michael
26 February, 2019 09:43
Hi Noel
I have a copy of that presentation which I could share. I suppose Dave would not mind me doing so.

Chgeers
John
26 February, 2019 12:50
I have shared the presentation at

[tinyurl.com]

Copy and paste this address into your browser and the presentation will open.

Regards
John
28 February, 2019 15:28
Quote:
John Lundberg
I have shared the presentation at
[tinyurl.com]

Copy and paste this address into your browser and the presentation will open.

Regards
John

Thank you for this and big thanks to the Author..fantastic slides
02 March, 2019 23:32
John
Many thanks for the presentation. It’s exactly the one I was looking for. Much appreciated, saves me contacting Dave. Many thanks to Dave for compiling this gem in the first place.
Regards
Michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 16
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017