Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

old tv screen as porthole

Posted by malcolm garland 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
old tv screen as porthole
16 February, 2019 17:48
Hi all
Has anyone any idea where I might source an old cathode ray perspex TV screen?
We need to replace the one on our barge which served as a skylight/porthole for many years but is now cracked.
Apparently when Phililps operated out of Clonskeagh, people use to get them there.
Its a long shot but maybe one of you out there know of somewhere I might get one!
Thanks
Malcolm 34B Barge
Re: old tv screen as porthole
17 February, 2019 14:19
Hi Malcolm,
Cathode ray tv screens were made out of glass and were in one piece (ie front and back). What you're looking for is a "Blown Perspex" skylight. These are still available but you may have trouble with dimensions. Googling them should find one.
All the best
Peter
18 February, 2019 09:46
Williaam Cox make dome skylights in a range of sizes. Friend of mine used to work for them and got me a couple for a camper van conversion I was doing. Think they are still in business somewhere in Clondalkin area.
Phil.

Tm53
18 February, 2019 12:50
Hi Malcolm,

I presume what you are looking for is not the TV screen itself but the perspex guard that went in front of the old picture tubes. I seem to remember that at least one of the other barges that was converted back in the 1960s had a whole slew of those guards as the cabin windows.

I have seen videos on U-Tube of people making those kinds of shapes by heating the material and stretching it over a suitable former. Maybe if the shape isn't too complex that would be worth a try ?

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
18 February, 2019 15:40
Thanks everyone...I think I'll just pop off to my local glazier and get some flat perspex!
Malcolm

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 13
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017