Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

mooring in Carlow Town

Posted by Garrett O Neill 
mooring in Carlow Town
27 February, 2019 12:03
Any advice on where to moor if staying over for one night in Carlow Town? Boat will have outboard removed.

Am doing a very enjoyable cruise from Monasterevin southwards as far as we can.

Thanks

Garrett
Re: mooring in Carlow Town
27 February, 2019 15:46
The most secure is behind the rowing club. The narrow ledge when you get on/off the boat puts a lot of people off but that's where the hire boats are told to moor.

Next secure would be below the lock.

The jetty over at the park is often silted, and the park is locked at night so you can get locked in or out.

The last time I was down there there were some fine looking moorings north of the rowing club but the cleats were 80ft apart. They may have been moved since though. Talk to Billy O'Neill the local lock keeper/ waterway patroller, he'll advise you better.
Re: mooring in Carlow Town
04 March, 2019 09:41
Thanks for that advice Paul. I didn't get around to calling Billy but we moored at the new jetty in the town, which was grand, although not accessible by car for removing your outboard. I suppose that and the fact that the park is locked at night makes it more difficult for others to access your outboard too.

That's an interesting bridge in Carlow ! I wouldn't like to have been doing it in a higher boat or with stronger flow. The Red Setter Guest House (Hotel?) is excellent and I would highly recommend.

We're now in Leighlinnbridge. We'd intended to stay at the new jetty at the hotel but didn't see an obvious way into it. We're below the bridge on the west bank which is accessible by car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 17
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017