Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

MN#21/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Lough Derg - Gortmore Point - Green H Buoy off station and adrift

Posted by Colin Becker 
MN#21/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Lough Derg - Gortmore Point - Green H Buoy off station and adrift
13 March, 2019 09:39
Greetings,

The attached Marine Notice just in from Waterways Ireland

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
==============================begins=======================
MARINE NOTICE No. 21 of 2019
SHANNON NAVIGATION
Lough Derg

Gortmore Point – Green H Buoy off station and adrift

Waterways Ireland wishes to advise all Masters of vessels and water users that the Green H Buoy buoy at Gortmore Point is off station and adrift near Terryglass.

Masters of vessels and water users are requested to proceed with additional caution in the vicinity Gortmore Point and Terryglass.

Waterways Ireland thanks all vessel owners and operators for their co-operation in relation to this matter.

P Harkin
Inspector of Navigation
12 March 2019
Tel:00 353(0)90 6494232
==================================ends====================
Re: MN#21/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Lough Derg - Gortmore Point - Green H Buoy off station and adrift
13 March, 2019 09:55
Greetings,

My local spy tells me the buoy is now past Terryglass Harbour and on the rocks.

Colin
Re: MN#21/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Lough Derg - Gortmore Point - Green H Buoy off station and adrift
13 March, 2019 10:59
Quote:
Colin Becker
Greetings,

Colin

Did they get a GPS position so I can update the CSIG charts spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
13 March, 2019 12:16
Quote:
Kobold
Quote:
Colin Becker
Greetings,

Colin

Did they get a GPS position so I can update the CSIG charts spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

What's interesting is that that buoy was always moored in deep water. There is actually clear water most of the way in to the Gortmore shore east of that buoy. I think it's main purpose was to just steer you northwards.
So it will be interesting to see what effect it's absence will have!

Colin
13 March, 2019 18:48
Quote:
Colin Becker
Quote:
Kobold
Quote:
Colin Becker
Greetings,

Colin

What's interesting is that that buoy was always moored in deep water. There is actually clear water most of the way in to the Gortmore shore east of that buoy. I think it's main purpose was to just steer you northwards.

Colin

You are correct Colin.

If WI don't sort by September, the Gortmore Bell Yacht Race will have to be postponed.

Shocking...
13 March, 2019 18:48
Quote:
Colin Becker
Quote:
Kobold
Quote:
Colin Becker
Greetings,

Colin

Colin

You are correct Colin.

If WI don't sort by September, the Gortmore Bell Yacht Race will have to be postponed.

Shocking...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 17
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017