Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

MN#22/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Limerick - Silting - Passage recommended 1-2 hours before High Tide

Posted by Colin Becker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use new forum platform at www.iwai.ie/bbpress.
MN#22/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Limerick - Silting - Passage recommended 1-2 hours before High Tide
13 March, 2019 09:58
Greetings,

The attached Marine Notice just in from Waterways Ireland

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
==============================begins=======================
MARINE NOTICE No. 22 of 2019
SHANNON NAVIGATION
Limerick

Silting – Passage recommended 1-2 hours before High Tide

Waterways Ireland wishes to advise all Masters of vessels and water users that a recent Hydrographic survey on the approach from Shannon Bridge to Sarsfield Lock revealed that the Navigation channel and the Dock area has silted up.

Masters of vessels and water users are advised to navigate to the Lock from Shannon bridge on a rising tide one or two hours before High Tide.

Waterways Ireland thanks all vessel owners and operators for their co-operation in relation to this matter.

P Harkin
Inspector of Navigation
13 March 2019
087-9852324
==================================ends====================
Re: MN#22/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Limerick - Silting - Passage recommended 1-2 hours before High Tide
13 March, 2019 20:55
mmmh….!
1-2hours before HW on a rising tide, will that not make it very difficult(impassable) for vessels wit a high air draft?

Rgds
Richard Ellis

Virginia Lady
Re: MN#22/19 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Limerick - Silting - Passage recommended 1-2 hours before High Tide
14 April, 2019 21:56
I intend to visit Limerick later this season. I would want to stay again at the jetties behind the tax office before going down the estuary. I understand the silting has been a long standing issue. Are there any plans to address it as this surely takes away from the amenity. I wonder would it be safe to arrive at high tide and leave at high tide without
risk of engine damage. I have a 26ft sports cruiser.

John

John Geary
(Sweet Escape)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 21:57 by John Geary.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 15
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017