Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Hoping to trace a late relative's cruiser, 'Disco Volante', last seen near Lough Ree

Posted by Ruraidh O'Reilly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hoping to trace a late relative's cruiser, 'Disco Volante', last seen near Lough Ree
16 May, 2019 11:28
Hello all - I hope all is well.

Three years ago a very close relative died and one of the final things on the to-do list is the whereabouts of his ex-Emerald Star cabin cruiser 'Disco Volante' (please do feel free to drop me a private message if you need my identity or details that shouldn't be posted on an open forum).

We couldn't find any details among his papers and the last we heard it was in one of the marinas on Lough Ree, presumably on hard ground. It had been on the Shannon for the past ten years or so; when we got it in 1996 we based it at Lowtown and did the Barrow to Carlow or Grand Canal to Athlone once or twice a year.

Last week we visited Lakeside, Portaneena, Quigleys, John Joe Quigleys and Athlone Marina in town; we spoke to lots of helpful people and had a good look around each of the yards but found no sign.

We saw several sister-boats; if memory serves around 12 or 16 of this model were sold by Emerald Star so they'll be a familiar sight. It's around 34' long; very flat with a sliding wheelhouse roof. Ours had the green stripes overpainted by two shades of purple trim. A photo is enclosed.

Has anyone here seen or heard of its whereabouts? It would be an enormous help.

Thanks so much.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017