Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Narrowboating

Posted by Sea Foot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Narrowboating
10 June, 2019 08:44
Hello all.

I'm currently looking to buy and live on a narrowboat. I was wondering if there are many people that live aboard and cruise the waterways. I understand that facilities like water are few and far between and would like to know if it is feasible to live the life on the water. Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ron.
Re: Narrowboating
10 June, 2019 08:49
[www.facebook.com]

This is a good starting point
10 June, 2019 15:39
Narrowboats are not as common in Ireland as they are in UK. You are more likely to see "widebeam" barges, usually 10' wide by 45'-55' long. These are more suitable for the Shannon, Erne and the larger lakes. Also, constant cruising is less common, as access for bank mooring is limited.

Tm53
10 June, 2019 20:23
Thanks Patrick and Tm53. Have joined the Fb group and will peruse the site. I understand that narrowboats are less common over here but was wondering if it is at all feasible to do so.
Cheers
Ron.
11 June, 2019 09:18
oops double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 09:19 by Sea Foot.
11 June, 2019 14:18
Lots of vessels cruise contiously during the summer and moorup for the winter
Bank moorings extend the length of the navigation just bring your own water and food
09 July, 2019 11:58
Hi, Im not sure how many people live on narrowboats. Its very hard to find descent information but it is very feasible to live and cruise on one. It might be hard to find one in Ireland (if you do they are usually very overpriced). There is great selection in the UK. Try get something as close to 60ft as you can. Enjoy!

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 13
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017