Kildare is a popular location for ‘low-loading’ onto the Irish waterways, with vessels originating in other parts of Ireland or from abroad. If you are considering launching in Kildare, here are some suggestions –
- Join the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland (IWAI) – Kildare Branch. IWAI New Member
- Contact Waterways Ireland (WI) to register your vessel for the Shannon and to obtain a Combined Mooring and Passage (CMP) permit for the canals.
- If you own an older boat or are interested in older boats, you might like to join the Heritage Boat Association (HBA).
- Arrange to crane in your vessel at a suitable location. In Kildare, many of us have craned in at Sallins on the Grand Canal, at the turning point/winding hole, west of Sallins Bridge. Note: Make sure you employ a crane of a suitable size for the weight of your vessel, taking into consideration that the reach from road to canal is wide in Sallins.
- Obtain charts of the Irish waterways system. Electronic Charts of all the Irish inland waterways are available to all paid up IWAI members. Hard copy maps are available from the IWAI Shop.
- Contact us at IWAI Kildare if you have questions and we will endeavour to link you with someone who has already done this before, with a similar vessel to yours.
We look forward to welcoming you to Kildare waterways and to our events.