MARINE NOTICE No. 51 of 2020 – Royal Canal, Grand Canal, Barrow Line & Navigation
Reopening of navigations from 8th June 2020
Waterways Ireland wishes to advise masters and users of the Royal Canal, Grand Canal, Barrow Line & Navigation of the following additional details & clarifications in relation to these navigations, further to the recent MN44/2020 & re-opening roadmap.
- Lock operating Hours – 08th to 29th June – 09:30hrs to 17:00hrs daily.
- Navigation remains open within 5km of your home; from 8th June this is expected to increase to within 20km from your home
- As a cautionary note, water levels are generally low due to the recent time of low rainfall. Also normal maintenance weed-cutting of navigation channels has been late in starting due to the ongoing restrictions, so additional weed growth can be expected in the navigation channels. Masters are asked to contact the local waterway patroller for updated information if wishing to navigate a particular area
- Due to the above points, arrangements for boat passage in / out from Dublin are not expected to resume until Phase 3 of the roadmap, at which point they will revert to those set out in MN10/2020. Masters are also advised as an advance notice that works are planned to be undertaken at Lock C4 Mespil Road from end August, which subject to confirmation would necessitate further closure again at this point.
- The Barrow navigation is closed at Athy and Carlow due to the weir breaches as previously advised by Marine Notices. The Barrow line section is open to navigation.
Waterways Ireland thanks its customers for their ongoing understanding during the navigation re-opening process.
For further information on the reopening of the navigation please visit www.waterwaysireland.org
Inspector of Navigation
05 June 2020
“Waterways Ireland, managing and promoting the inland waterways for the benefit of all…”