No. 27 of 2020
Access to Navigations and availability of services
Waterways Ireland wishes to advise all Masters of vessels and water users of the following access to navigations and availability of services until further notice:
- All service blocks are closed until further notice (Ref MN 23 of 2020)
- Water, electricity and pump outs are being re-connected – this is an evolving process as flood levels recede and resources allow (Ref MN 21 of 2020).
- Lock & bridge passage is available on the Shannon Navigation from 9.00am to 12.30 on weekdays and 10.00am to 12.30pm on Sundays – where possible please advise lock keeper in advance (Ref MN 21 of 2020).
- As the Waterway Patrollers on the Shannon-Erne Waterway will not be at work to provide support to boaters, the lock operation systems will be switched off. Vessels will therefore not be able to make any lock passages.
- The Grand Canal, Royal Canal and the Barrow Navigational locks will be operating under reduced hours of opening.
- Boat passage in and out of Dublin is postponed until further notice (Ref MN 26 of 2020).
- There are no restrictions on the Erne Navigation.
- As the lock-keepers on Lower Bann will not be at work, vessels will not be able to pass through the locks on the Lower Bann.
- The Winter Mooring period on the Shannon Navigation and Shannon Erne Waterway has been extended until 30 April 2020. There will be no additional cost for this extension (Ref MN 114 of 2019).
The network of canals, towpaths, docks and river navigations managed by Waterways Ireland remain open, but we are strongly encouraging people to stay local, and strictly observe social distancing measures. We are asking our users not to congregate, to keep moving, and allow ample space for others to pass in accordance with social distancing.
Waterways Ireland is encouraging all Masters of vessels and water users on all navigations to continue to follow the guidelines which have been provided by the health authorities.
Waterways Ireland thanks all vessel owners and operators for their co-operation in relation to this matter.
Inspector of Navigation
25 March 2020